Tamron announces the development of compact and lightweight
high-speed telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
Much-anticipated third model in its series of F/2.8 high-speed zoom lenses
delivers superb optical performance with extremely quiet, fast focus
70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056)
October 23, 2019, Saitama, Japan - Tamron Co., Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Ajisaka; Headquarters: Saitama City), a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the development of a new high-speed telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras, the 70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056).
Developed under the concept of “making high-speed zoom lenses user-friendly,” Model A056 features a compact and lightweight design, an ideal match for full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. The 67mm filter diameter is the same as all other Tamron lenses in this series. The optical design includes several specialized glass elements that contribute to the lens’s superb imaging performance. The lens’s very short 0.85m (33.5 in) MOD (Minimum Object Distance) expands overall versatility. The lens adopts Tamron’s newly developed VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism that produces a quiet, quick autofocus drive. Other features that support a great shooting experience include a Moisture-Resistant Construction helpful for outdoor shooting and Fluorine Coating for easy maintenance. In addition, the Model A056 is fully compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF. This new model joins the 17-28mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A046) and the 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) and brings Tamron’s total of F/2.8 zoom lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras to three.
|PRODUCT NAME||70-180mm F/2.8 Di III VXD (Model A056)
For Sony E-mount (35mm full-frame)
|DATE OF LAUNCH||Launch planned in the Spring, 2020|
1. Comfortably compact (149mm / 5.9 in) and light weight (815g / 28.7 oz).
2. 67mm filter diameter, same as all other Tamron lenses for full-frame mirrorless cameras.
3. Superb optical performance and MOD of 0.85m (33.5 in) for a broader range of photographic versatility.
4. Extremely quiet and fast newly developed VXD linear motor focus mechanism.
5. Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating contribute to a comfortable, user friendly photographic experience.
6. Compatible with various camera-specific features including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF.
* Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.