The 70-180mm F2.8 G2 marks the further evolution of the 1st-generation model that earned high acclaim in the marketplace and incorporates several enhancements. Leading the list of improvements of the new G2 lens is the incorporation of TAMRON’s proprietary VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism. The lens maintains the maneuverability of class-leading compact size and weight* while enabling shooting with greater stability.
The optical design has been revamped from the 1st-generation 70-180mm F2.8 and achieves uncompromising high image quality across the entire zoom range. TAMRON also shortened the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) at the wide end to 0.3m (11.8in) compared to the 1st-generation 0.85m (33.5in), enabling users to enjoy unique photographic expressions distinctive to the lens. Additionally, the new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom features TAMRON’s renowned VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism enabling high-speed, high-precision auto-focusing that performs well whether shooting stills or video. The new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom also supports the dedicated TAMRON Lens Utility™ and TAMRON Lens Utility Mobile™ apps that were developed in-house by TAMRON. The software can be used to customize functions based on various shooting styles for still photography and video. The new lens design improves operability and provides scratch resistance. This single lens combines profound maneuverability and practicality that is worthy of the 2nd-generation G2 badge and will deliver shooting experiences that make a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens even more enjoyable.
1. Even with VC image stabilization, the lens is just 156.5mm (6.2in) long and weighs only 855g (30.2oz)As with the 1st-generation, the new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 embodies the aggressive pursuit of compact size and reduced weight. TAMRON achieved a class-leading compact size and lightweight design while still providing a constant F2.8 aperture, 180mm telephoto reach and VC. The filter size is φ67mm, maximum diameter is φ83mm and the length at the 70mm focal length is 156.5mm (6.2in). The total weight is just 855g (30.2oz). The new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom offers outstanding maneuverability and is well-balanced on a camera body. Add it all together and you have a zoom lens that puts the enjoyment of handheld fast-aperture telephoto zoom shooting within easy reach.
2. Revamped optical design delivers truly superb performance at all focal lengthsThe optical construction of the new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom comprises 20 elements in 15 groups. The design has been completely reworked and features a generous and effective arrangement of special lens elements, including one XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion), one hybrid aspherical lens element, three LD (Low Dispersion) and two GM (Glass Molded aspherical) lens elements. These combine to efficiently control chromatic aberration and other artifacts and deliver high resolution without compromise throughout the entire zoom range. BBAR-G2 (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection Generation 2) Coating is used to suppress ghosting and flare, ensuring that fine subject detail is captured even in backlit situations, and delivering stunning clarity and contrast. Another feature everyone enjoys is the beautiful, soft bokeh that only the fast F2.8 aperture can provide.
3. VXD provides high-speed and high-precision AF with vastly improved subject trackingThe new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom is equipped with a VXD linear motor focus mechanism that was first used in the 1st-generation model. Tracking performance when following moving subjects such as sports action and vehicles has received a further boost while maintaining TAMRON’s highest-ever level of high-speed, high-precision autofocus. The enhanced performance ensures users won’t miss decisive moments whether shooting stills or video. The linear motor also suppresses vibrations and noise during AF more effectively than conventional drive systems, making it ideal for shooting both still photos and video in environments that demand quietness.
4. Equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC mechanismThe new 70-180mm F2.8 G2 zoom is equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC mechanism. VC effectively suppresses camera shake that tends to occur when shooting at the telephoto end, when panning to capture moving objects, or during close-focusing, thereby enabling stable handheld shooting. It also suppresses camera shake that often occurs when shooting handheld under low-light conditions such as dimly lit interiors and night landscapes, vastly expanding the freedom of shooting without a tripod. Moreover, at focal lengths up to 100mm, artificial intelligence (AI) technology provides vibration compensation with videography in mind.
5. Achieves MOD of 0.3m (11.8in) at 70mm and 0.85m (33.5in) at 180mmBy optimizing the optical design, TAMRON has reduced the MOD from the 0.85m (33.5in) in the 1st-generation, to 0.3m (11.8in) in the new model. Users can now get a step closer to subjects and make the most of shooting with beautifully soft bokeh effects. In addition, with an outstanding maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.6, users can enjoy distinctive and powerful composition unique to the lens.
6. Proprietary software tool TAMRON Lens Utility for lens function customization
7. Additional features for greater convenience
8. User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating)
9. Compatible with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
10. 67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
* Among full-frame compatible fast-aperture F2.8 telephoto zoom lenses equipped with Vibration Compensation (As of August 2023: TAMRON)
|Angle of View (diagonal)||34°21'- 13°42' (for full-frame mirrorless format)|
|Optical Construction||20 elements in 15 groups|
|Minimum Object Distance||0.3m / 11.8in (WIDE), 0.85m / 33.5in (TELE)|
|Maximum Magnification Ratio||1:2.6 (WIDE), 1:4.7 (TELE)|
|Length*||156.5mm / 6.2in|
|Weight||855g / 30.2oz|
|Aperture Blades**||9 (circular diaphragm)|
|Standard Accessory||Flower-shaped hood, Lens caps|
- * Length is the distance from the front end of the lens to the lens mount face.
- ** The circular diaphragm stays almost perfectly circular up to two stops down from maximum aperture.
- Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
- This product is developed, manufactured, and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation.