The 20-40mm F2.8, TAMRON's latest innovation, is an unparalleled new fast-aperture standard zoom lens that can be easily carried around for everyday shooting for both still images and video. Designed for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras, the lens was created in aggressive pursuit of portability that is ideal for everyday use. Starting from 20mm at the ultra wide-angle end and covering up to 40mm in the standard focal range, it is the smallest and lightest in its class1. The 20-40mm F2.8 delivers beautiful images across the entire zoom range and is great for still photography and for creating vlogs and other video content. The lens incorporates TAMRON’s VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive), an AF drive system using the linear motor focus mechanism. The VXD boasts superior quietness and agile performance and achieves high-speed and high-precision autofocus. With an MOD (Minimum Object Distance) of just 0.17m (6.7 in) and maximum magnification ratio 1:3.8 at the wide end, the lens provides exceptional close-range shooting capability, offering the added feature of wide macro photography.
1. Fast F2.8 aperture, compact size and exceptionally versatile 20-40mm zoom range
The 20-40mm F2.8 is TAMRON's innovative creation of a new standard zoom lens, born from the unbridled desire to produce a compact size that can be carried around easily. It delivers a fast F2.8 aperture across the entire zoom range from 20mm to 40mm and achieves a class-leading compact and lightweight design at just 86.5mm (3.4 in) and 365g (12.9 oz). At the longest zoom end, the lens offers a standard focal range of 40mm, handy for everyday shooting of snaps, portraits, and food photos. Meanwhile at the wide end, the ultra-wide 20mm focal length lets users enjoy a broad range of photography including stunning and powerful natural landscapes that make use of the unique ultra wide-angle perspective, something that cannot be expressed as readily with a fast-aperture standard zoom lens that starts at 24mm.
2. Fabulous family videos, vlogs, and other online content
The compact and lightweight 20-40mm F2.8 offers excellent handling that is well balanced even when accessories like camera grips or gimbal stabilizers are attached. With this single lens, you won't miss a shot, from street videography to vast landscapes during travel and selfies that include wide backgrounds.
3. High image quality in a compact, lightweight body
The 20-40mm F2.8 has an optical construction of 12 elements in 11 groups. With four LD (Low Dispersion), two GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) and one Hybrid Aspherical lens elements, it boasts a generous arrangement of special lens elements that strike a balance between high image quality and compact size across the entire zoom range. Another feature is the beautifully soft defocus blur effects and circular bokeh that are unique to the fast F2.8 aperture.
4. TAMRON’s VXD linear motor for high-level AF speed and precision
The autofocus drive system uses the VXD linear motor focus mechanism. The high-speed, high-precision AF enables the lens to respond to the creative intentions of the photographer by making focusing quick and definite, even with fast-aperture lenses, from the MOD to infinity. The lens provides excellent focus tracking of moving objects so that you never miss those important moments. Plus, the lens is extremely quiet, so it’s perfectly suited for both still and video shooting in conditions that demand silent operation.
5. Wide macro shooting: MOD of 0.17m (6.7 in) and maximum magnification ratio of 1:3.8 at the wide end
6. Rapid zooming (Zoom ring rotation arc is just 65˚)
7. TAMRON Lens Utility™ software for Focus Ring Function Setting and firmware updates
* TAMRON Lens Utility Mobile™ that was announced as under development on August 4, 2022, will be supported on the 20-40mm F2.8 upon firmware upgrade of the lens. Schedule to be announced at a later date.
8. New design with improved texture and scratch resistance
9. 67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
10. User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating)
11. Compatible with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
|Angle of View (diagonal)||94˚ 30'-56˚ 49' (for full-frame mirrorless format)|
|Optical Construction||12 elements in 11 groups|
|Minimum Object Distance||0.17m / 6.7 in (WIDE), 0.29m / 11.4 in (TELE)|
|Maximum Magnification Ratio||1:3.8 (WIDE) / 1:5.1 (TELE)|
|Length*||86.5mm (3.4 in)|
|Weight||365g (12.9 oz)|
|Aperture Blades||9 (circular diaphragm)**|
|Standard Accessory||Flower-shaped hood, Lens caps|
* Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.
** The circular diaphragm stays almost perfectly circular up to two stops down from maximum aperture.
Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
This product is developed, manufactured and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation.
20-40mm F/2.8 (Model A062)